Saving Fuel and the Environment: One Tire At a Time
This summer, Green Venture has been working with Canadian Tire Stores to deliver Tire Pressure Clinics to the community. These clinics were made possible from the Shell -Fuelling Change grant awarded to us last year, in addition to support from Clean Air Hamilton. During these events, we teach motorists how to check their tire pressure. If required, we also fill up people’s tires, and provide them with EcoDriver information and a giveaway item. These events are a great way to engage the community and teach them sustainable driving techniques. After attending these clinics, people learn how to save money on gas, while reducing their use of fossil fuels.
Why Attend a Tire Pressure Clinic?
- The average person is emitting 10% more CO2 when driving their car due to under-inflated tires
- 26% of smog forming pollutants and greenhouse gases come from road vehicles
- 33% of vehicles have at least one tire under inflated
- 70% of people don’t measure tire pressures each month
- Just one tire under-inflated by 8 psi can increase fuel consumption by 4% (that’s 80 litres more fuel per year), and reduce the life of the tire by 15 000km
- Canadians waste 533 million litres of fuel each year which equates to over 1 million tonnes of greenhouse gases (CO2)
- Under-inflation is the leading cause of tire failure
Stats From Our Last Tire Pressure on Saturday, June 22, 2013:
- # of people helped/spoken to: 27
- Average PSI (Pounds per square inch) of air given per car: 5
- Total PSI added to people’s vehicles throughout the day: 120
So our one tire pressure clinic…
- Saved 3.28 L of fuel in just one day
- Saved a collective 1,200 L of fuel in a year
- Saved 7.5 kg of CO2 from being emitted in one day
- Saved 2,670 kg of CO2 from being emitted in a year
These events teach us how to live a little more sustainably while driving, and we would love for you to participate! Our next Tire Pressure Clinic is this Saturday, July 6, 2013. The location is 777 Upper James St, Hamilton, ON.
Posted by Edward