Ready to grow your own Mini Forest in Dundas?! Eligible participants from Dundas are invited to apply here for a Mini Forests at Home Kit by December 9, 2022 (NOW CLOSED). To learn more about the benefits of a mini forest and how to apply, read more below:
Mini Forest Frequently Asked Questions
Mini Forests (also known as tiny forests, micro forests or Miyawaki forests) are based on the Miyawaki reforestation method. Named after Akira Miyawaki, a Japanese botanist who developed it, the Miyawaki method is known for its use of dense planting, diverse locally native species, soil preparation, and multilayered design to mimic the complexity of a native forest. Miyawaki Forests consist of 4-layers: canopy, sub-canopy, small understory trees, and shrubs. This is a new technique for Hamilton, but it has been successful in Zaanstad, Netherlands and Mumbai, India and other parts of the world for over 40 years. Read our blog about mini forests in Hamilton and learn more about the Miyawaki method.
Adding Mini Forests in urban areas can add more greenery, mitigate stormwater runoff, increase biodiversity, improve air quality, and connect the community back to nature. And importantly, according to Shubhendu Sharma (whose TED talk made the Miyawaki Method famous), Miyawaki Forests result in trees providing these benefits much more quickly, with 10 times faster tree growth rates, and 30 times more CO2 capture.
Our Mini Forest at Home Program is now live and accepting applications for Spring 2023!
Those that qualify for the pilot program and are successful in our application process will receive a Mini Forest Kit including a maximum of 36 trees (selected by the Urban Forest Coordinator), compost and mulch and support for planning site prep and tree planting (Green Venture staff will provide resources and support including promotion and recruitment for volunteers where needed).
- Residents, businesses and schools within Dundas, ON*.
- Suitable sites with planting space that meet site criteria (e.g. must have a minimum of 9 metres square for tree planting and access to water).
- Must have or recruit a dedicated tree care team to help water, weed, and mulch for at least 3 years;
- Before approval, property owner or site host representative is required to sign a terms and conditions contract to ensure all site prep is completed (e.g. locates, soil preparation, soil testing as needed);
- Site hosts should be prepared to grow a mature forest in their yard, please do not apply if you cannot make this commitment;
- In addition to committing to the planting and stewardship of the mini forests, you will agree to participate in Green Venture reporting objectives including tree monitoring, and sharing your projects via social media, blog posts, signage, etc;
- If selected, you are required to participate in a site visit with our Urban Forest Coordinator.
*Please note: There is a limited number of kits available. Due to the funding requirements, only residential property/businesses/schools in Dundas, ON will be considered. If the property you’re applying for is not within Dundas, ON, we can keep your information on file for future consideration.
Eligible and successful participants will receive a follow-up from Green Venture staff to book an in-person consultation with our Urban Forest Coordinator to discuss their project more in depth.
Access to Urban Forest Coordinator Feedback and Resources
After meeting with our team, you will confirm if your project will go ahead as planned. Green Venture staff will provide resources as needed regarding your project. You may contact our team including the Urban Forest Coordinator along the way.
Our team will let you know when check-in dates are approaching and remind you to take progress photos along the way.
Green Venture staff will visit your site to verify your project and provide you with a complimentary lawn sign. At the end of the planting season, all eligible applicants can celebrate together by joining Green Venture at our Mini Forest at Morton Park, Dundas, where we planted 600 trees this past September, for our stewardship event!