Green Venture is excited to be leading 100 in 1 Day Hamilton again in 2020! The festival is entering its 6th year in Hamilton, and its second year being led by GV.
100 in 1 Day was started in Bogota, Columbia in 2012 as a grassroots effort to improve connections between citizens, and get people engaged in their cities. It’s a one day festival where residents of a city plan urban interventions – events that embody what they want to see in their city – aiming to accomplish 100. The festival came to Hamilton in 2015, and over the past 5 years, has inspired more than 650 interventions and engaged tens of thousands of residents, and continues to grow each year.
In Hamilton, interventions have strengthened residents’ relationship to their communities and public spaces, and have led to permanent changes in the city. Street patios, which make restaurant dining so enjoyable in the summer, grew out of a 100 in 1 Day intervention. Other interventions have included a ‘build your own bike lane’ (out of lego!) booth, yoga in Bayfront Park, and seed ball making with the Kirkendall Garden Club. It gives residents a great opportunity to test out sustainable initiatives in their neighbourhoods, with the potential to spark lasting change. Green Venture has been involved with 100 in 1 Day through a variety of our programs since 2016. These include Depave Paradise projects at R.A. Riddell in 2016, and the replacement of 2 parking spaces from Our Lady of Vietnam Holy Church and Holy Family Parish with a large garden in partnership with the Crown Point Garden Club in 2017. In 2018, we helped launch ‘The Butt Stops on Kenilworth’, a cigarette butt litter campaign that installed an interactive voting machine to dispose of cigarette butts. That same year, we brought the Smoothie Bike to the Barton Village festival, and made pedal powered smoothies on 100 in 1 Day. In 2019, Green Venture set up an ‘Imagine Depave on Barton’ space reanimation. We are excited to see what we end up doing in 2020, and what residents come up with this year.
There are a number of ways to get involved with 100 in 1 Day Hamilton. You can:
- Attend an ideation workshop: There are several workshops scheduled during the month of May to brainstorm interventions and fine-tune ideas. For details about upcoming workshops, visit 100in1Day’s Facebook page.
- Lead an intervention: Register your intervention on the 100in1Day website. No idea is too big or too small! Leading an intervention is as easy as 1-2-3. First develop an idea and register it online. Your intervention will be added to the online map. Finally, promote your intervention and implement it on June 1!
- Participate on June 1: Check out the planned interventions on the 100in1Day website. Interventions will be running all across the city throughout the day.
Help us spread the word on social media: Follow us and share our posts with your networks via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Facebook: 100 in 1 Day Hamilton
Green Venture wants you to register interventions! What have you always wanted to see in your community? A block party where kids and grown ups can get out and enjoy the early summer weather without cars causing noise and air pollution? A meal, cooked by and for the community?
It can be anything you can dream, with a few small criteria.
100In1Day Hamilton actions should:
- Focus on improving our city through positive action
- Inspire inclusive actions that respond to community needs and make our city a better place to live, work and play
- Build and foster community networks
- Be non-partisan and non-commercial
- Have free participation. A 100In1Day Action is a people-powered act in which no fees or charges are to be collected, nor should an intervention be tied to commercially-driven activities.
We’re looking forward to seeing what our community envisions this year!