In 2020, Green Venture introduced an all-new, FREE, high school program. Available completely remotely, Power to Change educates students about the importance of environmental accountability and activism, while teaching them about Canada’s current climate change policies, and how they can be more sustainable in their own lives and communities.
So why should you register your class for Power to Change?
Power to Change consists of three modules, each including a video and a follow up activity. Read on to learn more about each module. This program has curriculum ties to CGC1D, CGC1P, and CHV2O. Register here, and we will contact you with a link to the toolkit, which includes curriculum ties for each course!
Module One: Climate Change and Canada’s Initiatives
- Students watch video detailing the science of climate change and Canada’s current climate initiatives
- Students investigate an assigned climate initiative in Canada, and present their findings
- A discussion follows on these initiatives, and their critiques
Module 2: Individual Behaviours
- Students watch video on how personal choices affect our carbon footprint
- Students rank themselves on perceived environmentally-friendly behaviours
- Students complete a carbon footprint quiz
- Students write a reflection on their carbon footprint vs. what they expected it to be
- A discussion follows on these issues
Module 3: Be the Change
- Students watch video on global youth activism
- Students reflect on their thoughts regarding climate change, and lifestyle changes they would like to make
- Students brainstorm a lifestyle change, write a pledge, and record it on Green Venture’s Climate Action Pledge webpage
- Students present the longevity and impact of their lifestyle change
Download our free toolkit to run the Power to Change workshop from your class, or invite someone from our team as a facilitator or guest speaker.
Register for Power to Change here: https://greenventure.ca/high-school-intake-form/
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!