Our Seedy Saturday 2022 planning has been a winding path of change! We are thankful to our community and all involved for their patience as we navigate the twists and turns and work to keep this great event on track. Here is the latest update on what is happening for Seedy Saturday 2022.
Workshops Are Virtual
We will be offering a series of FREE virtual workshops throughout the month of February. Last year over 700 people attended our 10 workshops and appreciated learning from great garden speakers on a variety of topics, so we are keeping this format going. Registration will be required on Eventbrite in advance and you’ll receive a link to the Zoom meeting. View the list of workshops , registration coming soon!
Pandemic Safe Seed Swaps
With social distancing and efforts to limit crowd sizes to control the spread of COVID-19 pandemic, our seed swap plan is shifting once again.
Please Continue to Send Seeds To EcoHouse or Email to Arrange Pick Up
You send them, we will sort and distribute them. Share your seeds with us anytime! We will distribute sorted and packed seeds to the community at Seedy Curbside Swap events in February and at our Hamilton Seed Library ‘little seed library’ locations throughout Hamilton. Sharing seeds is a great way we can continue caring for each other and help grow local food and resilient communities.
If you have seeds to swap send them to:
EcoHouse Attn: Seedy Saturday
22 Veevers Drive,
Or email email@example.com to arrange a porch pick up in Hamilton
Two Ways to Pick Up Seeds
In February 2022, there will be two ways for Hamilton residents to pick up seeds and complete the swap.
Pre-Order Seeds for Curbside Pick-Up
Here is how it works:
- Select a pick up location and time using the Eventbrite registration Here
- View Hamilton Seed Library Catalog by Green Venture Here
- Fill in the Seed Swap Form to let us know your seed selection
- Think about making a donation to cover the costs of seeds & packing.
- We will select your seeds, and have them ready for you based on your selected time slot and pick up location. Please note, all seed swap selections and orders are on a first come first serve basis for residents of Hamilton.
A huge thank you to St. Marks United Church for being a venue partner for Curbside Seed Pick up.
Find Seeds at a Hamilton Seed Little Library Location Near You
Here is how it works:
- Beginning March, 2022 Green Venture will distribute seeds to Hamilton Seed Library Little library locations. A full list of participating locations can be found here. These little libraries have agreed to offer space for swapping seed packages as well as books. Seeds will be restocked bi-weekly from March 1, 2022 to June 1, 2022 or while quantities last.
- You can visit a Hamilton Seed Library location at any time to pick up seeds or drop off clean and packed seeds you have to share.
- Let us know what you take or drop off at each location using the google form here .Please note, we really appreciate our seed library hosts so we ask that you kindly leave the seed packages tidy and in the spirit of community sharing, please only take seeds you will use.
- Think about making a donation to cover the costs of seeds, packing and distribution.
Where Else Can You Find Local Seeds?
Support Local Seed Companies
A list of local vendors is available on our website here
Seeds of Diversity has also created an interactive map showcasing the geographical location of all seed companies in Canada known to Seeds of Diversity. Making it easier to support local seeds. You can view the map here: https://seeds.ca/canadian-seed-companies-map/
We look forward to seeing you at Hamilton’s Seedy Saturday!
Further information and sponsors
For more information on how to support Seedy Saturday contact Sheila Gutierrez at Garden@Greenventure.ca
We would like to say THANK YOU to our current Partners and Sponsors including:
The Hamilton Public Library has supported lifelong learning in a variety of ways for over 125 years in its 22 branches, Bookmobiles and robust virtual branch offerings. HPL is proud to sponsor the environmental stewardship and the learning opportunities provided by Seedy Saturdays, which closely align with our mission: Freedom to Discover. Check out our website at hpl.ca for current information about borrowing, services and online programs and resources.
St Marks United Church
1 Lynndale Dr, Hamilton, ON L9H 3L4
We also want to thank the community who continue to come back each year to the Seedy Saturday event. Your support is greatly appreciated! We are always looking for sponsors to help support us in running this free public event. Please get in touch if you are interested in learning how to become a Sponsor!