The decrease of green space due to urbanization has many negative impacts on our cities. This includes increases in air and noise pollution, floods from extreme storms, increases in temperatures caused by the urban heat island effect, and removal of biodiversity. Trees play an important role in our lives! It’s important that we increase awareness of tree benefits by educating the public on the importance of planting trees and caring for those in cities! Urban forests can benefit our communities by reducing pollution, providing food and shelter for wildlife, and improving our mental and physical health.
How Trees Can Help Us:
What We Can Do for Trees
These are just some of the amazing ways trees benefit us. But what can you do for trees? Here are 10 things you can do for trees (from the City’s Urban Forest Strategy, page 13):
- Preserve existing trees on your property whenever possible
- Respect city tree by-laws
- Plant new trees on your property and participate in community tree planting events
- Advocate for better tree protection in Hamilton
- Water your trees during periods of low rainfall
- Participate in citizen science
- Have mature trees assessed by a qualified arborist
- Spend time with trees – go for a hike in the woods or a walk in your local park
- Protect tree stems and roots from damage during construction and landscaping
- Talk to your neighbours about why trees are important
Complete tasks on the Communi-TREE Checklist for a chance to win a $100 credit to Kayanase to purchase a native tree. Now you know all the ways trees can help us so complete one of the tasks today – show a tree that you care!
For more on our Communi-TREE campaign checkout the following blogs: